Wednesday, August 17, 2011

No More Fear

Let it go.

Move on.

It’s okay to move on.

However, you have to talk about it.

(Hello Listeners.)

These are some of the lessons I’m learning as a writer. Going to the next phase is good, and being afraid of the unknown is normal. Actually, I think wanting to stay planted where you are is normal also, but it’s limiting. I don’t want to sound like some all-knowing life-guru who knows it all (I’ve not lived long enough; give me about 80 more years or so), but these are some of the lessons I’ve been learning as I’ve been living. And I’m not saying this based on some strict principle saying that 23-year-olds shouldn’t still be whining about taking out the trash or finding employment. There really is a lot of world to see, a lot of world beyond your personal world. The world is HUUUUUUUUGE and life is short.
Now, hold on. I’m not saying to go flying off by the seat of your pants (unless you want to. Hey! Adventure is waiting), but I think I’ve been afraid of all of the potential problems I could encounter.

For a while now (about five months or so (wow, it’s been that long)) I’ve been uncomfortable with the idea of moving forward. It scared me to go out into the real world. What if something bad happened? What if I couldn’t handle it? What would people think about my strengths?

What I’ve learned about myself recently is something about staying in the same
town with the same people serves its purpose, but if there isn’t any growth, things become stunted…and I’m 5’5! I’d very much like to be taller lol.

This is repetitive I know, but the whole idea of writing for the sake of publishing…or peace of mind…or helping someone else feel relief makes me feel like I have a purpose. Finding my own style is part of the fun, but it does determine a great deal once I've made up my mind. Choosing my path not only gets me started, but it pen-ultimately determines my life-story.

Yes, nothing is written in stone, but I think it was my mother who once mentioned that the decisions one makes between the ages of 16 and 25 are the ones that mold the life lived. Since turning 23 (and I'm sorry if this sounds a little morbid), I've began to realize how much time I've spent living, and how much time I do or don't have left. Every moment is gone before you even get the chance to think on it. The stories of the people who are both living and have gone on to their eternal resting place inspire me to make my own choices concerning what I do and what I write down.

Temple Grandin, a forward-thinking animal scientist, used a squeeze machine in order for her to find relief when hen she felt agitated or misunderstood or threatened or when she felt like no one would hear. That is what writing does for me.

So, here I am to tell the stories. My personal stories, the stories of my heroes, the stories of my friends and the stories of the people I admire from a distance. Maybe one day that’ll lead to people being healed or free. This is what I want; for people to be free of their pains and hurts and from the secrets that torture them all day and all night.

It's a new journey, and I'm finally ready to be excited to take it.

Keeping the Faith and Keeping It Real,

aM

1 comment:

  1. It's true, it's not easy to move forward because it is scary. But while were are moving forward, I agree, we must talk about it. If we don't acknowledge what we have learned from the last season we were in, then it doesn't do us much good in the next season.

    ReplyDelete