Sunday, January 16, 2011

Going to the Chapel and We're...

Hello Listeners.

Recently, many of my friends have been getting engaged, married, and pregnant. Yes, this has been happening since I've arrived in college, but as I age, I realize that the people I hang with and love and call on a regular basis are finding their significant other a lot quicker than I remember.

I have been genuinely happy for all of my friends. I've rejoiced sincerely. I really feel great, but it does make me think about my own life.


As I was walking to my living space, humming "All By Myself" in my head, it hit me:

I think I've caught ring-by-spring-fever. Dang.

You may be wondering, "Why is this bad?" Well, first of all, I've always tried to avoid that stigma, as I've never felt that if I don't find my husband in college, he won't be found at all. On some subconscious level, I think I may feel bad that I've not an engagement ring on my hand...and that people kind of expect it from me by now.

Logically, I am not lonely, but alone. It really is a shame that more of us (myself included) don't appreciate this time in our lives. Think about it! This is probably going to be the most independent time of my life! It's like...for people who have regrets about not being married or having a significant other, it's like the ultimate forbidden fruit. It doesn't really matter what other trees are in the Garden of Singlehood; all we want is the Tree of Knowledge of Dating and Possible Marriage.

Hence, this is where the divide lies for me.

I have a feeling that, as with all phases of the heart, this too shall pass.
I've decided to be the Anti-Eve and not be tempted by the Forbidden Fruit and do the right thing this time. The rest of the Garden will have to do for now. :)

Keeping the Faith and Keeping it Real,

aM

1 comment:

  1. Love this post Amber! I feel you on this one.

    ReplyDelete